Sunday, August 21, 2005

Spread Firefox

I was looking at my website statistics today and was a little surprised when I saw the number of visitors that were using Mozilla Firefox. Upon reflection I have realised that bloggers are really quite savvy in comparison with the average point'n'drooler. That 28% of my visitors use Firefox compared to the global statistic of 19.8% for August, 2005 demonstrates this.
As you have probably worked out by now I am a Firefox user. I have used other browsers such as Internet Explorer, Opera, Netscape, Galeon, and Lynx to name but a few but unless something major occurs I will continue to use Firefox and why wouldn't I considering that;

Mozilla Update not only updates just patches but it also allows you to download themes and extensions saving you the need to search high and low on the net to find that perfect customisation (Firefox is after all the most customisable browser available today).
Microsoft is on the record stating that it will not be releasing any updates for Internet Explorer on any Windows platform older than XP. So if you are running Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, or any older NT version than XP you are completely out of luck. If this is the case you need to do something about it as your computer is probably already compromised. Maybe you could try Mandriva Linux?
Firefox has a popup blocker built in that allows you to manually control popup behaviour or alternatively you can allow Firefox to manage the problem.
Firefox restricts ActiveX controls which historically have been amongst the worst security problems for Internet Explorer. There have been more than 153 IE security holes since April, 2001 and these are the ones that we know about.
Tabbed browsing, smart search, live bookmarks, the list could continue but carpal tunnel syndrome could set in before I finish writing it.
Firefox is FREE you can download it then try it and the worst that can happen is that you don't like it. Give it a try most people who do stick with it and then like myself sing its praises.

Enjoy your new browser ;)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home